The beautiful Grade II listed building of God’s Providence House has an important place in the history of Newport and the Isle of Wight. It was during the plague of 1583 that the building was set apart from others in the locality; the number of dead was so great in the island’s capital that the local burial ground (St. Mary’s Church, Carisbrooke) was closed, and another was built at Church Litten. Through 1584 the plague continued, and whilst tragedy struck every other Newport residence, God’s Providence House was the only dwelling in the town in which no-one died. It was hereafter that the building acquired its name. In 1701, it was partially rebuilt following a fire; it is still one of the oldest buildings in Newport.
The Ghost of God’s Providence House
Whilst no-one is known to have died within the walls of God’s Providence House, the possibility of a ghostly presence is something that intrigues both staff and customers alike. We are often asked whether the building is haunted and employees talk of a ghostly figure spotted within one of the dining rooms.